The roundtable conversation around the nurse’s station today was about Christmas shopping, Bill consolidation and the financial futures of the babyboomer… I’m proposing a New Year’s Resolution for all professionals, inclusive of freelance writers & entrepreneurs on doable ways to become creative money management experts and rise above the financial stress, strikes, and surprises that can follow us well into the new year.
By keeping our smart money management resolutions,we’re bound to see the pot of gold at the end the rainbow, or something akin to it. Let’s face it, many of us allowed the joys of Christmas gift giving to get out of hand. Overall spending skyrocketed, purchase receipts accumulated and overdraft bank fees loomed on the cusp of 2011! The fact that the economy is sluggish and unpredictable, admittedly didn’t stop people from contributing to the economic recovery- reportedly to the tune of billions of Christmas dollars for retailers…
Formulating a money recovery plan for the New Year can be tricky, but requires a formula for success. According NBC’s Money Market/Smart Money Report, managing our money need not become another stress factor in our lives if we follow some basic rules:
1. Learn more about your finances
2. Pay Yourself first- Set aside at least 10% of your paycheck
3. Scale back on spending habits-as in daily Starbucks
4.Keep track of your receipts- I keep a receipt drawer (xmas unbelievable!)
5.Get your Insurances checkup- Term Life & Disability Insurances should be at top of your Smart Money checklist
6. Start a budget and get out of the credit card trap. Avoid your credit card as much as possible and pay for your purchases in cash. People can become proactive and call to lower their interest rates on their credit card. And, according to reports, those unwanted gifts received during Christmas can soon be exchanged via an Amazon exchange gift program! I digress, but…
Somehow, as I’m writing this post, an image of babyboomers afloat on dry land pop into my rearview. Babyboomers, Money management and Financial straits…hmmm AND another 2010 tidbit…
Clara54 weblog described as a useful resource to visit. Alexa ranks among 17 top sites in the world!
Pleased to make your acquaintance 2011!
- Smart Money Moves For The End Of The Year (blogs.forbes.com)
- The Season of Giving: Why A New Personal Money Management Book Says It’s Essential to Give Back During the Holidays (prweb.com)