Remember my promise of something special? Well, dear readers, this guest post is not to be missed. Clara54 is proud & excited to introduce Doreen Hamilton,PH.D on Essential Speaking!
Essential Speaking: The 7-Step Guide to Finding Your Real Voice
We are all public speakers. Whether you are giving a presentation at work, sharing your opinion at a meeting, or talking to someone one-on-one, you are expressing yourself. The question is, do you feel comfortable and confident being who you are? These 7 steps help you focus on what really matters in any communication—your authentic self.
1. BE SILENT – always start from a place of silence. Quiet yourself. Being comfortable without any words is powerful.
2. BE PRESENT – Focus on the current moment. Let go of concerns about what has happened before or what might happen in the future.
3. BE AWARE – Use your eyes to take in the people you are with. Don’t avoid looking directly at them. Gaze softly and let them see you.
4. BE ATTUNED – Listen to those who are listening to you. Listen to yourself before, during, and after the words are spoken.
5. BE POSITIVE – Look for the best in others. See the good that is within and don’t get stuck on what they might be thinking.
6. BE CONNECTED – Be with one person at a time and be conversational. Speaking to a group at large dissipates your energy.
7. BE YOURSELF – The most powerful gift is you. Tap into who you are to allow your authentic voice to come forth.
As you can see from the seven steps listed above, my work is to guide you to be more mindful of yourself and others. Notice that each step begins with “BE” and there is no emphasis on what to say. I believe that at the core of public speaking anxiety is the fear of being yourself in front of others. This is why I work on a deeper level and help you discover who you really are rather than give you techniques that mask nervousness.
Unlike the conventional techniques aimed at improving your performance, the seven steps help you learn to connect to yourself and others in a genuine manner. Remember that within you resides a pure sense of self, and this essential self has a voice. No matter what the disconnection over time is, you can reclaim that voice.
In order to transform fear, you must move toward that which frightens you. Commit to discover your fear, be with and experience it. The seven steps will take you gently through a sequence and usher you to the end result: the natural dissolution of your fear as your authentic self grows stronger.
Finding your real voice is a process that can be equated with cultivating a garden. Within you are seeds of courage and wisdom that will take root, grow, and blossom as you move through the seven steps. In the process you will re-connect with your real self. Then the voice that arises from your center, even in the most challenging circumstances, will be steady, clear, and uniquely yours.
Doreen Hamilton, Ph.D.
Author: Essential Speaking: The 7-Step Guide to Finding Your Real Voice
Find Your Voice, Change Your Life!